Senior Payroll Specialist
Job Title: Senior Payroll Specialist
The Senior Payroll Specialist is responsible for reviewing, processing and identifying all payroll control, operating procedures and performance management indexes. Employee is responsible for the weekly and bi-weekly running of the payroll process, to include conducting the initial control audit for balancing andsupervisory review. Employee also serves as one of the primary point of contacts with offices raising issues relating to pay discrepancies.
- Performs payroll-related tasks required to support the payroll needs of the Authority. Analyzes occurring and recurring discrepancies and determines the appropriate solution. Advise the Payroll Manager of unusual problems or circumstances relating to payroll in a timely manner.
- Coordinates activities related to computerized tracking of retroactive adjustments, supplemental authorization requests, grievances and warrant account payments. Assists in the compilation of payroll data and statistics to assist in measuring the performance of staff and effectiveness of customer service efforts.
- Examines and reconciles payroll information to the general ledger and prepares the necessary journal entries to correct any misclassified or incorrect transactions recorded during the month. Complete such reviews of all payroll related liability accounts on a monthly basis. Assist in providing relevant explanations of variances of labor costs between actual financial results and budgeted expectations.
- Acts as back-up member of supervisory staff as needed to include balancing payroll, processing off-cycle payment, and conducting staff training.
- Assists in the computation and preparation of irregular payments as required and develops routine queries as well as other ad-hoc confidential reports to support such payments.
- Aids in the development and revision of standard operating procedures to improve quality control strategies; reduce pay shortage issues and calculation errors as well as contribute guidance to staff in providing positive effective customer service responsiveness.
- Provide instructions to payroll technicians on the proper calculation and processing of pay transactions using established guidelines. Provides training and timekeeper certification for designated field users of the payroll systems in conjunction with current policies and procedures in place throughout the Authority and those directly related to the Office of Accounting, specifically, the Payroll Branch.
- Responds to request for information on both internal and external auditors, in a timely fashion. Keeps manager apprised of the status of the required response.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Minimum of 3 years of full-cycle payroll processing with PeopleSoft.
- Thorough knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and the Authority's overall accounting operations, with the ability to effectively apply that knowledge to the Authority's financial needs.
- Thorough knowledge, or the ability to rapidly acquire such knowledge, regarding Authority programs, current collective bargaining agreements and policies affecting the payroll branch functions.
- Skill in the application and use of automated payroll systems in financial management reporting to aid in the analysis of problems and to assist in the management decision-making process.
- Ability to prepare and evaluate complex policy and procedure-related material and provide quality checks and controls of HR/Payroll data. Considerable latitude for exercising independent judgment and initiating corrective action, where needed with regard to payroll issues.
- Comprehensive knowledge of applicable personnel/payroll systems and accounting procedures relating to the processing of PAR'S and SPAR'S.
- Ability to use mainframe and PC applications and operate in a web-based application environment. Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information appropriately and professionally, and the ability to communicate effectively.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration. Three (3) years of progressively responsible experience in payroll administration along with project management and data analysis using manual and automated financial systems and quality assurance controls.
- Employee must be certified as a timekeeper or able to obtain certification.