The Senior Accountant, Investments manages the accounting and net asset classification of the Society's investments (Consolidated Investment Pool and Defined Benefit Investment Pool) and the share accounting for/distributions from the Consolidated Investment Pool. S/he is also responsible for performing accounting production processes, including month-end and year-end close. They must understand and accurately apply intermediate accounting principles/practices; and in addition, s/he is expected to assist the team in system upgrades and implementations, with streamlining and improving current processes, identifying business solutions, and creating opportunities for enhanced customer service and efficiencies. This individual is a member of a team and reports to the General Accounting Manager; however, this position may directly supervise the activities of the entry-level staff accountant.
Works under little supervision on day-to-day tasks and receives general instruction on new assignments. Performs analyses and recommends solutions for a variety of problems. Requires skills of persuasiveness and assertiveness in dealing with others. Resolves complex problems independently. Ability to analyze data accurately, present well-supported findings and formulate actionable recommendations regarding budget matters. Ability to maintain effective relationships with supervisors, managers, co-workers, and others to elicit data key to analyzing investments and endowments.
- Supports the investment program of ACS, which consists of the Consolidated Investment Pool ($1.2 billion) and the Defined Benefit Pension Plan Investment Pool ($800 million). Responsible for overseeing recordkeeping of the investment custodian, reconciling investment manager statements with the custodian, recording monthly investment activity in the general ledger (PeopleSoft), and preparing management reports as appropriate.
- Takes the lead role in the annual financial statement preparation and audit for the investments-related aspects of the process, including development of audit schedules in support of financial statements, preparation of required footnote disclosures, and acts as primary interface with the external audit firm.
- Works closely with staff in the Investments Office to evaluate accounting treatment for new investments. Periodically interfaces with investment managers to ensure appropriate accounting treatment of assets and accurate valuations.
- Maintains the share valuation system for the ACS Consolidated Investment Pool, which includes the General Fund, Petroleum Research Fund, Hach and other endowments. Records new gifts and contributions and updates shares/share values on a monthly basis. Produces and distributes periodic reporting on the values of each component part of the Consolidated Investment Pool.
Education, Experience and Technical Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related: CPA license strongly preferred
- 7 years of experience in relevant accounting role with 4 years of endowment/investment accounting public accounting experience is a plus
- Understanding of investment funds, hedge funds, private equity partnership investments, advanced fixed income portfolios, and other complex investment vehicles
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Excel and experience with large ERP systems, ideally PeopleSoft financials
- Experience in participating in year-end financial audits
- Integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently with little supervision