Position: Payroll Specialist
Location: Washington, DC
A large association in Washington, DC is seeking a dedicated and experienced Payroll Specialist. The individual must demonstrate advanced knowledge of Payroll functions and accounting concepts, have excellent communication skills and the ability to function in a fast paced environment. Successful candidates must be proficient in using Ultimate Software.
- Assist in the preparation and processing of bi-weekly multi-state payroll.
- Provide accurate and timely responses to other organizations and employees regarding payroll-related questions, concerns, and issues.
- Conducts audits and/or reviews of various payroll areas to ensure compliance with corporate policies and all applicable Federal, State and local regulations.
- Researches and advises payroll staff concerning the accounting treatment of standard transactions to ensure proper classification of expenses in accordance with GAAP.
- Maintains payroll-related accounts, including reconciliation and accuracy of accounts, to ensure accruals are proper and all payroll related payments are processed on a timely basis.
- Prepares and files multi-state tax reports. Ensures compliance with applicable state and Federal regulations.
- Identifies issues and/or areas for improvement in work environment, production processes, projects, and systems.
- Research issues back to the source, effectively summarize findings and recommend appropriate actions, including adjusting journal entry entries.
- Documents, updates, and maintains Payroll policies, procedures, and processes. Recommends improvements.
- Participates in upgrades/implementation of financial software
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or 5+ years of directly related experience in lieu of degree
- Ultimate Software experience required
- Advanced computer skills and experience with payroll systems implementation
- Experience in maintaining payroll accounts, reconciling accounts and running multi-state payroll
- Detail oriented, organized, excellent customer service and ability to communicate effectively with the staff team and clients outside of the organization
- Ability to set priorities, evaluate results and collaborate with others
Job Status: Full Time