Payroll Data Analyst
Job Title: Payroll Data Analyst
The Payroll Data Analyst is responsible for reviewing, processing and identifying all payroll control,operating procedures and performance management indexes. Work is performedas part of a quality assurance program within Payroll to ensure consistent accuracyat a high level when calculating and entering time into the Time/Attendance Systemsand adjustments into the Payroll Processing System. This position requiresprofessional, technical, administrative, analytical and confidential work of a complexnature.
- Performs payroll-related tasks required to support the hourly and salaried payroll needs of the Authority. Analyzes occurring and recurring discrepancies and determines the appropriate solution. Advises Payroll Manager of any issues in a timely manner.
- Coordinates activities related to computerized tracking of PAR's, SPAR's, late payments and grievances. Compiles payroll data and statistics to assist in measuring the performance of staff and effectiveness of customer service efforts.
- Examines and reconciles payroll information to the general ledger and prepares the necessary journal entries to correct any mis-classified or incorrect transactions recorded during the month. Complete such reviews of all payroll related liability accounts on a monthly basis.
- Assist in providing relevant explanations of variances of labor costs between actual financial results and budgeted expectations.
- Act as back-up member of supervisory staff as needed to include balancing payroll, processing off-cycle payment, conducting staff training and other related duties.
- Assist in the computation and preparation of irregular payments as required and develops routine queries as well as other ad-hoc confidential reports to support such payments.
- Responsible for the development and revision of standard operating procedures to improve quality control strategies; reduce pay shortage issues and calculation errors as well as contribute guidance to staff in providing positive, effective customer service responsiveness.
- Provides leadership and instruction to payroll staff in the proper calculation and processing of pay transactions using established guidelines.
- Respond to request for information of both internal and external auditors on a timely basis.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and the Authority's overall accounting operations.
- Thorough knowledge, or the ability to rapidly acquire such knowledge, regarding Authority programs, current collective bargaining agreements and policies affecting payroll branch functions.
- Skill in the application and use of automated payroll systems in financial management reporting to aid in the analysis of problems and to assist in the management decision making process.
- Ability to prepare and evaluate complex policy and procedure-related material and provide quality checks and controls of HR/Payroll data. Considerable latitude for exercising independent judgement and initiating corrective action where needed.
- Comprehensive knowledge of applicable personnel/payroll systems and accounting procedures relating to the processing of PARS and SPARS.
- Ability to use mainframe and PC applications and operate in a web-based application environment.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information appropriately and professionally.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the Authority's financial management staff, coworkers, internal and external customers and all other Authority offices with whom interaction is required.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience:
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or a related field.
- A minimum of four (4) years of progressively responsible experience in payroll administration, project management, data analysis using manual and automated financial systems and quality assurance controls.
1901 Research Boulevard, Suite 320 ? Rockville, MD 20850 ? (301) 652-9112 Phone ? (301) 652-9114 Fax