Financial Reporting Accountant
The Senior Accountant, Technical Accounting & External Reporting reports to the Senior Manager, Technical Accounting & External Reporting, and is responsible for ensuring the Society’s financial statements and footnotes are prepared in accordance with GAAP and that Federal Grant activities are monitored and reported timely.
Works under little supervision on day-to-day tasks and receives general instruction on new assignments. Performs analyses and recommends solutions for a variety of problems. Requires skills of persuasiveness and assertiveness in dealing with others. Resolves complex problems independently. Ability to maintain effective relationships with supervisors, managers, co-workers, and others.
- Serve as the subject matter/technical expert for a variety of accounting policies and processes, methods, and practices. Responsible for formulating solutions to unusual and complex accounting issues/problems. Formulate, develop, and manage accounting and financial management policies.
- Monitors and research new GAAP pronouncements; evaluation of impact to the company; assisting in the implementation of new business, accounting and financial reporting processes.
- Prepare, analyze and provide the Society's monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements and footnotes in accordance with GAAP.
- Interface with external independent auditors during the annual financial statement audit. Participate in the development of action plans to resolve any material weaknesses or significant deficiencies discovered during the annual financial statement audit.
- Prepare briefings and special reports for management, internal customers and the Audit Committee. Communicate effectively through written reports, oral presentations, white papers, position papers, memorandum and other pertinent documents.
- Liaison to the Education Division for review of proposed grant and award programs, ensuring documentation requirements and accounting impacts are identified and operationalized.
- Prepare and submit Government Surveys.
- Responsible for the periodic preparation and submission of the Society’s indirect cost rate proposal.
- Assist Sponsored Program PIs with creating federal grant budgets and budget modification.
- Responsible for the preparation and submission of the required Federal Financial reports and grant-specific financial reports.
- Responsible for preparing quarterly grant billings and managing the federal payment reimbursement process.
- Manage the federal grant compliance process. Conduct all sub-recipient-related monitoring activities.
- Coordinate Single Program audits.
Education, Experience and Technical Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related: CPA license required.
- Minimum 8 years of experience in accounting role; public accounting experience is a plus
- Understanding of GAAP
- Understanding of Federal Grant accounting and reporting guidelines
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Excel and experience with large ERP systems, ideally PeopleSoft financials
- Experience in participating in year-end financial audits
- Integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently with little supervision