The Entry Level Budget Analyst is responsible for preparing general ledger reconciliations and resolving reconciling items with the sub- ledgers and supporting documentation. They are also responsible for preparing month-end journal entries, processing of certain payments and budgeting of certain accounts. They will also be responsible for identifying the source of various payments and collaborating with other departments to automate the PUBS to AP payment request process. Candidate must understand and accurately apply basic accounting principles/practices; assist the team in system upgrades and implementations; and assist in streamlining and improving current processes. This individual is a member of a team and reports to the Publications Business Support Senior Manager.
This position works under general supervision of the PBS Senior Manager. Some work assignments may come from the Director. This position acts as a liaison between Publications Business Support and the Publications Division and supports staff with all financial transactions. Work is reviewed in-progress and after completion. The ability to analyze and communicate data accurately, present well-supported findings and formulate actionable recommendations is required, as is following policies, practices and procedures to resolve standard problems and seeking guidance related to unusual problems. Work is deadline oriented and requires follow up with ACS Publications, General Accounting and Budgeting staff.
- Performs reconciliation of general ledger accounts that are complete, accurate, and fully supported by appropriate evidence.
- Supports the preparation of the ACS Publications annual budget and forecasts.
- Acts as a liaison between Publications Business Support and ACS Publications and supports staff with AP submissions, travel expense reports, general ledger research, and reclassing miskeyed vouchers
- This person will monitor activity related to travel expenses and report unusual transactions
- Prepares moderately complex analyses, work-papers, and non-standard reports and projects within established deadlines that are accurate, complete, well written, and easy to review and to understand.
- Performs research as assigned, tracing issues to their source. Effectively summarizes and communicates research findings as needed.
- Documents current policies and procedures. Assists with the development of new controls or practices, and isolates and recommends current practices that can be eliminated, and/or streamlined. Performs or assists Senior Manager with implementing change.
- Performs testing, and/or develops user requirements, as required, for new or existing software.
- Meets all critical deadlines.
- Cross-trains with existing Publications Business Support staff.
Education, Experience and Technical Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related field: CPA or candidate a plus
- Previous experience or internship in relevant accounting role a plus
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel and experience with large ERP systems, ideally PeopleSoft financials. Hyperion budgeting, and/or Blackline account reconciliation experience a plus
- Experience in participating in year-end financial audits a plus
- Integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information
- Excellent written and verbal communication and customer service skills
- Ability to work independently with little supervision